Heya!

Welcome to the super spectacular blog of Sandie and Amanda :) Join us as we travel west on a roadtrip through Canada, and south through the Western USA; fly over to the wonderful South Pacific islands of Vanuatu; and make our way to New Zealand for adventures in WWOOFing and working.
Stay tuned, even we don't know what might come next...

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hot spots in Rotorua

Tues Oct 19:  After leaving the macademia nut farm, I had a few days to kill before I was on to my next wwoofing destination. Since it was on my way south, and we had skipped over Rotorua during our roadtrip, I thought I might as well explore the place all the tourists flock to see. I luckily found myself a place to stay with Couch Surf host Jackson, and his 8 year old daughter Tao.

With hot pools bubbling up all over this volcanic-bed of a city, the smell of sulpher hung in the air when I arrived downtown. I spent some time exploring the many shops, and later met Jackson and Tao before dinner. They were very welcoming, and sweet enough to take me to see some of the hot pools traditionally used since way back in the day, in a Maori community outside the city.

Wednesday morning Jackson dropped me off in Kuirau Park on his way to work. It was really great, because instead of spending an arm and a leg at some of the main tourist hot spring locations, I got to wander around and see plenty of steam pools and boiling mud, for free! It was neat to read about how before we all become so paranoid and fenced off all these 'dangerous' pools, people used to come here to bath, kids would play after school, and ladies would do their laundry!

From there I walked down around the coast of the big, beautiful Lake Rotorua, and through the Maori village of Ohinemutu. There were some really neat carvings to see in the main square, as well as a traditional meeting house, or 'whare', a church, and a crafts shop. Poking around inside I also met a few guys doing some spectacular carvings, something like  totems, representing mythical characters and stories about healing, since the carvings were to be placed at the entranceway of a new hospital. So cool! Later I walked down to the Goverment gardens and old city hall building, saw some spotless cricket fields (a popular sport here), and went to the art museum. Finished off the evening cooking up a great quiche dinner with Tao, who happens to make some very delicious croissants ;)  Thanks for the great stay Jackson!  Next stop, Ohakune...  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment